This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
If you’re looking for a recipe for an egg casserole with sour cream, then you’ll love this simple casserole recipe. Made with eggs, bacon, riced cauliflower, sour cream, and cheddar cheese, this is the perfect baked breakfast casserole dish!
Most egg casserole recipes are made with milk. However, this particular recipe uses sour cream in place of milk.
And, it should come as no surprise to you that the sour cream makes for a really delicious egg casserole recipe!
Sour cream is a great alternative for milk in egg casseroles, especially if you’re following a low-carb or keto diet where regular milk is not approved. However, even though you may not be following a keto or low-carb lifestyle, you’ll want to try this recipe, simply because the addition of sour cream adds a nice, rich, creamy, slightly tangy flavor to this dish while helping the eggs stay moist!
In fact, this loaded casserole with sour cream, cheese, cauliflower, bacon, and eggs, can easily become your go-to!
Ingredients for sour cream egg casserole
- Cauliflower rice – Instead of potatoes, cauliflower rice was used in this egg casserole. This helps to make the casserole keto-friendly and low-carb. Therefore, instead of a bacon, egg, and potato casserole, you get a bacon, egg, and cauliflower casserole that tastes just as delicious!
- Sharp cheddar cheese – Besides sharp cheddar, you may use any other cheese you enjoy including gouda, mozzarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and even pecorino cheese.
- Sour cream – I love using sour cream in egg casseroles because this ingredient adds a nice richness and it prevents the eggs from drying out during the baking process, all without adding an exorbitant amount of fat to the dish.
- Almond milk or water– Used simply to help thin out the sour cream a bit before it goes into the casserole dish. Any other almond milk substitute can work in its place.
- Eggs – You can substitute with liquid egg product but I highly recommend fresh eggs.
- Salt and pepper, to taste – These will bring all the other ingredients together.
- Green bell pepper – Can substitute with yellow, orange, or red bell peppers
- Bacon – You can substitute with turkey bacon.
How to make egg casserole with sour cream
Start by gathering all your ingredients in one place, then preheat the oven to 350F.
Then grease the casserole dish with some butter or oil.
Then mix the cauliflower rice and half of the cheddar cheese and spoon this into the casserole dish.
In a bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, almond milk (or water), salt, and pepper, and pour this egg mixture over the cauliflower and cheese mixture.
Top this with chopped bell peppers, and the remaining cheese.
Also, top with bacon and bake the casserole for 45 minutes.
Once baked, remove from the oven, and cool on a rack before serving.
Adding meat – This recipe does not include any sausage or ground beef. However, if you feel like adding some meat to this breakfast casserole, you could use either ½ lb of breakfast sausage or ½ lb of ground beef. Simply cook your meat of choice in a skillet until it is no longer pink, and mix it into the rest of the casserole after step 3. Follow the same recipe card instructions below.
Adding potatoes instead of cauliflower – Cauliflower rice is a good alternative for potatoes and this is why it is used in the recipe. However, if you prefer to use potatoes, you can. Simply omit the cauliflower rice and replace it with 2 medium potatoes, diced into ½-inch cubes. These will need to be sauteed with some oil, black pepper, and salt before it is added to the casserole dish.
How long is an egg casserole good for?
Egg casseroles can be made overnight and will last for a while once stored properly.
To store it, place this leftover egg casserole made with sour cream in an air-tight container and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Can you freeze this sour cream egg casserole?
Most cooked egg casseroles can be frozen for up to 2 months and this one is no different. Even though it is made with cauliflower rice, eggs, cheese, and sour cream, once properly stored in an air-tight container or freezer bag, this casserole will be just fine in the freezer for a while.
You may notice that the texture of the casserole becomes less fluffy after it has been frozen, but the taste will remain more or less the same.
That’s it! Follow this recipe for a delicious egg casserole recipe with cream cheese. And, if you’re looking for more egg casseroles, check out my recipe for a quick and easy egg casserole made with heavy cream here.