This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more information.
These fluffy pancakes with almond milk are sure to become one of your favorite recipes. They’re simple, vegan, and a great choice for anyone who may have just run out of milk and need a quick milk substitute.
Pancakes are a staple in many households and with good reason since they’re so good. But, not everyone knows how to make pancakes with ingredients that aren’t the typical staple pancake ingredients.
In fact, I have some friends who cannot comprehend that you can make good, tasty pancakes with almond milk!
Today, I’ll show you how to make fluffy almond milk pancakes. These pancakes are a great option to try if you’re a vegan or dairy-free eater, if you have no whole or 2% milk or if you’re just looking for something different for breakfast.
Plain flour – The most popular flour for pancakes is plain flour. This is what is used in this recipe, but you can also use other types of flour like self-rising, bread flour, almond flour, or check out other types of pancake-friendly flour here.
Baking powder – Baking powder is a type of leavening used to make bubbles in pancakes. These bubbles make the pancakes fluffy and help them rise. If you have no baking powder, you can find a good substitute for baking powder among this list of common food substitutes here.
Unsweetened almond milk – Almond milk is used here not only because is it a great way to replace milk in vegan or dairy-free pancakes, but it also works as a milk alternative for pancakes even though you’re not following a vegan lifestyle and you just need a quick substitute in a pinch. Both vanilla or plain unsweetened almond milk can work.
Coconut sugar – I used this sugar because it’s more nutritious, but you can use any other type of sugar you have available.
Salt – A dash of salt is needed to help balance out the other ingredients in this pancake recipe.
Melted coconut oil or canola oil – Coconut oil is used here to add some more flavor to the pancakes, but also to help them stay soft, moist, and fresh.
How to make pancakes with almond milk
To make these fluffy pancakes with unsweetened almond milk, start by gathering all the ingredients in one place.
Then, in a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
Next, add the almond milk and oil and stir until smooth.
Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add ¼ cup of the almond milk pancake batter to the skillet for each pancake.
Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear on the surface. Lift and flip. Continue cooking for 30 seconds.
Serve these delicious easy almond milk pancakes warm with berries or syrup.
Also, if you decide at the last minute that you don’t want to use almond milk in your pancakes, then you can also check out these effective almond milk alternatives that can work in this recipe too!
Tips for making almond milk pancakes
- These pancakes are super easy to make, but if you are in a hurry, just place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- The pancakes will be fluffiest if you allow the batter to sit for a few minutes before cooking the pancakes.
- Add some delicious flavors to your pancakes by adding a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice.
Storing & reheating pancakes
- To store: Place any leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 6 days.
- To freeze: Place any leftovers on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze for 1-2 hours. Then, place the pancakes in a ziplock bag, seal and freeze for up to 3-6 months.
- To reheat in the microwave: Pop a single pancake in the microwave for 20 seconds. If you want to reheat multiple pancakes at once, place 4-5 into the microwave for 60 seconds.
Frequently asked questions